Welcome to San Diego Blog | February 4, 2010
February is Museum Month in San Diego
February is Museum Month in San Diego!
What a wonderful opportunity to check out some of San Diego’s greatest museums at a fraction of the price – half price actually! Visit any Macy’s store to pick up a FREE Museum Month Pass, which gets you and 3 guests into 39 fantastic museums for half-price admission. With a variety of museums to choose from, there is likely to be something for everyone.
Among the participating museums is Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla. If you haven’t been, or even if you have, I highly recommend checking it out. Amazing exhibits feature sea horses, whales, coral, fish, tide pools and more. You will be able to get an up-close look at the fantastic sea life.
Many of the museums at Balboa Park are also participating in Museum Month. The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, which is home to Southern California’s only IMAX® Dome Theater and 100+ hands-on science exhibits for all ages, is a great place to take the family! The San Diego Model Railroad Museum is another fun one for the whole family with 28,000 square feet, the museum is the largest operating model railroad museum in the world! Other favorites include the Museum of Man which focuses on anthropology; the San Diego Museum of Art which is the region’s oldest and largest art museum; the San Diego Air & Space Museum devoted to science, space and aviation history; the San Diego Automotive Museum with more than 80 historic autos and motorcycles; and the list goes on and on! There are so many awesome museums in Balboa Park it will be difficult to see them all in this short month!
The USS Midway is another fantastic museum to check out. This aircraft carrier is located in Downtown San Diego on N Harbor Drive. With over 60 exhibits including three flight simulators for those brave enough to try, and 25 restored aircraft, it will be an unforgettable experience for all.
You will find a complete list of the participating museums below. Don’t let this wonderful opportunity pass you buy!
- Adobe Chapel Museum
- Barona Cultural Center & Museum
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps
- Bonita Museum & Cultural Center
- California Center for the Arts, Museum (Feb. 13-28)
- Coronado Museum of History & Art
- Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum
- Heritage of the Americas Museum
- La Jolla Historical Society
- LUX Art Institute
- Maritime Museum of San Diego
- Marston House
- MCRD Command Museum
- Mingei International Museum
- Mingei International Museum North County
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego – Downtown
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego – La Jolla (Feb. 21-28)
- Museum of Making Music
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- Oceanside Museum of Art
- Old Town San Diego Historic Park
- Quail Botanical Gardens
- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Air & Space Museum
- San Diego Archaeological Center
- San Diego Automotive Museum
- San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum
- San Diego Historical Society Museum & Research Archives
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum
- San Diego Museum of Art
- San Diego Museum of Man
- San Diego Natural History Museum
- Tijuana Estuary Visitors Center
- Timken Museum of Art
- USS Midway Museum
- Veteran’s Museum & Memorial Center
- Water Conservation Garden
- Whaley House
- Women’s History Museum & Education Center