Welcome to San Diego Blog | March 2, 2012
Great Second Homes in San Diego
San Diego is the ultimate destination for second homeowners, particularly in the Downtown area. With exciting restaurants, nightlife, and endless outdoor activities within footsteps of your front door… Downtown San Diego has become the premier destination hot spot for those seeking to get away from the climate extremes.
The mid -winter forecast for San Diego is 75 Degrees and Sunny!
Downtown San Diego’s popularity as a second home destination has skyrocketed. With condo prices at an all-time low, combined with record-low interest rates; the opportunity to purchase a second home in “America’s Finest City” has never been more attractive than right now!
With that said, I have hand selected 10 properties that I believe to be great second home opportunities based on the following criteria:
- Purchase Price BELOW $500,000
- Moderate Monthly HOA Dues
- Desirable Location
- Desirable Buildings with long term value.
- Value priced based on Current Market Value
Based on the aforementioned criteria, I then broke down ten of the best valued properties that are currently available to come up with the Best Second Homes in Downtown San Diego. I did not place a particular order to the list because value can be subjective; however, any one of these would make a fantastic second home.
Here are the results:
The Best Second Homes In Downtown San Diego
- Trellis #309 Location, location, location. This 1 bedroom is an inner courtyard facing property within the Trellis community. With the Historic Gaslamp literally outside the front door of this complex, having a quiet garden courtyard setting could be your perfect San Diego sanctuary. Trellis is a great community with low HOA dues, and now it is FHA approved!
- Park Terrace #526 Located in the heart of the Ballpark District of the East Village, Park Terrace is literally across the street from Petco Park! Unit 526 is a REO (bank owned) property and is an incredible value for a 2 bedroom within this desirable community. With moderate HOA dues, this is a great property for the owner occupant, second home-owner, or investor alike. Note: Park Terrace is currently under a litigation settlement and would require a minimum of 25% down payment for a buyer obtaining financing.
- The Mark #608 One of the most luxurious buildings in the East Village Neighborhood, The Mark soars above its peers with a modern elegance in an active location. 800 The Mark Lane is the address of this exclusive community, boasting its own private drive for its residents. The community offers an incredible array of amenities and services, which do come at a price. HOA dues at the Mark range from $600-$900 per month. Nonetheless, the Mark offers 5 star resort living in the heart of the East Village!
- Pacific Terrace #210 Located in the desirable Marina District, the Pacific Terrace Community is an intimate setting, with the small community appeal. Just footsteps from the San Diego Convention Center and the excitement of the Gaslamp, Pacific Terrace is a rare gem that offers fantastic possibilities as an investment, second home or even a primary residence. Unit #210 is a fantastic value for a 2 bedroom priced under $400,000.
- Cityfront Terrace #916 Looking for luxury, location, and views at an affordable price? Look no further. Cityfront Terrace is one of the more recognizable buildings in all of downtown with its brick facade. Located a prime Marina district location, and this subject property has the desirable Southern orientation (sunny side) facing the Coronado bride, Convention center and the Marina. A fantastic opportunity under $400,000!
- Treo #307 Located in the Columbia District, the Treo community has become one of the “hotter” properties because of its value pricing and exceptional amenities with moderate HOA dues. This combination is the right formula for the second home buyer seeking a great property in Downtown San Diego.
- M2i #404 Hip urban loft style homes are what the M2i community is known for, and unit 404 is a prime example. Located in the thriving East Village Neighborhood of Downtown, M2i is nestled between Market and Island Avenue; hence the name “M2i“. This contemporary dwelling offers a more industrial flare with exposed ducts and finished concrete walls. Some call it “urban chic”, we just think they are really cool and a great value.
- Park Place #206 Luxury and location. The Park Place community lives up to its name. In the game of Monopoly, you can’t pass “GO” unless you cross Park Place, and this distinctive tower located across Harbor drive from Seaport Village has all the amenities and luxuries of resort living in a location that will never get old! Unit 206 has a beautiful garden appeal with lots of windows and outdoor space, hardwood floors, and enough space to comfortably host a small family. A great second home for those looking for a little more of an upscale appeal at an affordable purchase price.
- The Mark 2005 This is the second time that The Mark Community makes our list of great second homes. Again great location in the vibrant East Village Neighborhood, within waling distance of all of the action. this is a short sale property, priced remarkably low (subject to bank approval). An opportunity for a lucky buyer to snag a deal for a high floor view condo in a very desirable building. Don’t wait on this one!
- ICON 2403 OK, I lied…. This property is OVER $500,000 listed at $505,000, which is over $200,000 less than the last buyer purchased this incredible Penthouse unit. The ICON Community is one of the most desired complexes in all of downtown and this is the only property for sale in the entire building. ICON is noted as one of the best value “bang for the buck” communities when it comes to amenities/ monthly HOA dues. This particular property is on the top floor, with only the legendary ICON Skybox above your head. This property is also a short sale and should sell for this low, low price as it was noted that the lender countered the last offer at this price. This property is pending foreclosure and must sell to a lucky buyer QUICKLY…
For more information about GREAT Condo Deals in Downtown San Diego, GIVE ME A CALL: (858) 531-8785